haunted house photography retreat
October 25 – 27, 2019
(accommodations + meals included)
For those who love the allure of a truly southern gothic small town, with all of its charms, crumbling architecture and ghosts of the past, Frognolia Hall in Sparta, GA offers the perfect setting for a Halloween-inspired photography weekend retreat. Photographers at any level of experience are welcome, basic instruction and assistance with camera settings and operation will be provided as-needed. We will have the entire weekend to shoot, explore, edit, eat, drink, and create southern gothic masterpieces though a truly immersive 3 days + 2 nights weekend workshop and retreat.
- Frognolia Hall houses 6 guest rooms with 8 beds. Guest rooms are first come/serve. Some rooms are shared spaces with 2 beds, so arrive early if you want to secure a private room. The Liberace Room has a queen bed, and can be reserved in advance for a couple, at an additional charge. Please contact host for couples pricing (first come/serve). There are 2 shared bathrooms, and just under 5,000 square feet to shoot and explore inside this grand, Prairie Arts and Crafts-style southern gothic mansion.
- Sleeping accommodations for up to 7 singles
Please inquire about couples pricing (limited space available, first come/serve)
- Food & Beverages
If you have food sensitivities or allergies, please contact your host with details. It wouldn’t hurt to bring along some of your favorite snacks, just in case(!)
- Three (3) guided photo shoot adventures
– Guided Street Photography Tour at Dusk
– Light Painting Workshop at Dusk/Dark
– Graveyard/Cemetery Shoot at Dark
– Props, styling + lighting provided
- One (1) Post-processing Workshop
– Attendees must bring their own laptop, with Adobe Lightroom + Photoshop installed
What's NOT Included:
What’s Not Included:
- Transportation – Attendees must arrange their own travel to and from Frognolia Hall in Sparta, GA (about 2 hours drive from Atlanta)
- Camera Gear – Attendees must bring their own camera, lens(es), tripod, filters, memory cards, etc.
- Laptop Computer – Attendees must bring their own laptop, tablet or other device for post-processing (a laptop is recommended, but not required)
What To Bring:
- Pack for 3 days and 2 nights, including protective, comfortable shoes for our photo adventures! If you have food sensitivities or allergies, please contact your host with details. It wouldn’t hurt to bring along some of your favorite snacks, just in case(!)
- Bring your camera and preferred lenses. I recommend something wide/standard (example 24mm–70), and a medium focal length, portrait or prime lens (example 50mm, 85mm with low aperture like f/1.4 or f/1.8, etc).
- A tripod & laptop (with Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop installed) are also highly recommended, but not required.
- Props & other gear? We will provide the main props and additional lighting and gear for our planned location shoots, but if you have something really cool that you would like to contribute, by all means bring it! Feel free to reach out to your host with questions or ideas.
About Your Hosts:
- Hosted by Lauren Holley, founder and organizer of Atlanta Urban Photo Walkers, the largest photography meetup group in Atlanta, and Frognolia resident creative mastermind and award-winning independent film maker Milford Thomas.
Lauren Holley is a seasoned and strong creative director with big picture vision and hands on experience. She holds a degree in visual communications from the Art Institute of Atlanta and brings an extensive background in painting & illustration to her experimental photographic images. Lauren has lead presentations, workshops and training on various creative topics including graphic design, street photography, infrared photography, Adobe Photoshop + Lightroom. In 2014 Lauren founded Atlanta Urban Photo Walkers, a meetup group exploring and documenting ATL’s changing cityscape. Since then, AUPW has grown to be the largest photography meetup group in Atlanta, with 4,000+ members.
Milford Thomas has been a fellow at the Sundance Writer and Director labs and a guest of the Hambidge Creative Residence Program, making him uniquely experienced in planning and hosting creative retreats. He’s produced many events over his long career, from movie fundraisers to large parties for the Atlanta Film Festival. His purpose and passion as the founder & owner of Frognolia Hall is to provide a space for everyone to enhance and explore their creativity, whether they consider themselves an artiste or not.
- Friday: Check–In + Happy Hour
4:00p – 6:00p
Snacks + Drinks, explore Frognolia and secure your room!
- Friday: Guided Street Photography Walk at Dusk
6:00 – 7:30p
- Friday: Dinner
8:00p – 9:30p
Family Style Meal, Wine + Cocktails Provided
- Friday: Ghost Stories of Sparta
10:00p – 11:00p
Frognolia owner & host Milford Thomas, is an award-winning film director, and a gifted writer and story teller. He will share some stories of the local Sparta folklore, including the mysteries and mayhem of Frongnolia’s very own sordid past.
- Friday: Late Night Photo Experiments
For those who are interested, let’s explore more of Sparta after hours, and experiment with night photography, long exposures, and some fun props. For those who are not night owls, feel free to turn in early, as Saturday will be packed with fun!
- Saturday: Coffee & Breakfast
8:00a – 10:00a
Croissants, bagels, fruit, cereal, yogurt, etc.
- Saturday: Festival + Parade + Fair (Free to public)
10:30a – 4:00p
Flexible time for exploration or relaxation. You may choose to go into town, shoot the parade (11:00am), festival, or fair grounds nearby, or feel free to stay at Frognolia and enjoy some leisure time. There is no planned lunch meal, but snacks and beverages will be available.
- Saturday: Early Dinner: 5:00p
Family Style Meal, Wine + Cocktails Provided
- Saturday Night: Light Painting Workshop
6:30p – 8:30p
On location at a nearby historic mansion, with beautiful victorian architectural details. We will shoot long exposures at dusk, and learn light painting techniques to illuminate the exterior facade and surrounding grounds.
- Saturday Night: Ghostly Cemetery Shoot
8:30p – 10:30p
Together we will light & style an atmospheric ghost/graveyard set on location in the local cemetery. Props are provided, but feel free to bring anything special you have that fits the theme (think grim reaper, zombies, etc.)
- Saturday Night Cap: 11:00p
Drinks & Popcorn/Snacks
Sunday: Coffee & Brunch:
9:00a – 11:00a
Eggs or quiche, breakfast potatoes, charcuterie, cheese, fruit, etc.
Sunday: Post–Processing Workshop:
11:30a – 2:30p
Lauren will lead the group, walking through her favorite Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop processing techniques, and sharing her personal, custom Lightroom presets. Those with laptops can follow along, and sharing RAW files is encouraged among the group. Any and all questions are welcome!
- Sunday: Check-Out:
3:00p – 4:00p
$495.00 per person / accommodations + meals included